Life as an Online College Student

Well, it's that time of year again. Children are picking out their backpacks and getting last minute school supplies. College students are packing their suitcases and preparing to fly off to college. Or, if you're like me, you are ordering your school books off of Amazon, looking over your class syllabus, and making sure your computer is up-to-date and ready for some more online school.
If you're also like me, you are probably finishing up some summer classes and looking forward to a much needed week break so that you can just relax.
Does anybody else agree that this has been quite the interesting summer? :) I can't believe that I am saying this, but I am actually looking forward to the Fall semester and to getting back to a semi-normal routine.
It was back in 2017 that I was nervously opening up my computer and starting a new part of my life. College. I had no idea what to expect and I was excited (and quite nervous) about all that online college would include. I had a ton of questions running through my mind. What if I can't keep up? How will I make any friends through an online college? Do I have everything I need? Did I order the right books? What if I say the wrong things on the discussion boards? What if I fail? How will I actually get to know my teachers and other friends? Needless to say, I was a mess. Little did I know how much I would absolutely LOVE online college life!
I thought I would share with y'all some things that I have learned from an online Bible college life.

1. You CAN make friends! I think this was one of my biggest hesitations when considering online college. For some reason, I have always been the kind of girl that loves having lots of friends to talk to and hang out with. I really wanted to have that "dorm-life" experience that I had heard so much about, but I thought I couldn't have that because I wasn't actually going away to college. Little did I know how many true friends I would make through this online format. Honestly, I am so incredibly thankful for my group of friends. We got to know each other through the discussion boards and some online meetings, and now we are able to group message each other and video chat once in a while. God gave me the friends that He knew I needed and wanted in my life.

2. When I first looked into online college, I made a list of pros and cons (does anybody else do this when making a big decision?) ;). One of the things on my list of pros was that I would be able to stay at my local church and continue serving in the ministries that I was involved in. I could still serve in the bus ministry, music ministry, and Sunday School ministry, and still get a college education at the same time!

3. Another thing that I learned about myself through online college, is how much I procrastinate. Yep...I said it. I am a procrastinator. I don't remember doing this that much through high school, but now I realize how much I actually do it. It can be so easy to put off assignments until the last minute and then scramble around trying to get it turned in before 11:59 that night. If there is a tip that I could give to y'all, it would be to NOT procrastinate! This makes me think about my church's theme this year and how I need to apply it to my life. It's from Romans 13:11, "Now it is high time.." Convicting, right?

4. Organize, organize, organize. With online classes, it is so important to keep organized. It can be so easy to become unorganized and miss assignments simply because you did not keep good track of what needs to be done (I learned this the hard way....trust me).

5. Write it down! This goes right along with organization. I actually learned this in one of my classes called Christian Leadership. Don't just think that you are going to remember a due date or assignment detail, because it can be very easy to forget (speaking from experience again).

6. Don't be scared to email when you have a question. It's inevitable...there will be times when you have no idea what is expected of you or what you need to do for a particular assignment. And with online college, it can be different because you don't have a teacher to ask directly in the classroom. So don't be scared to email your teacher and ask a question or two. That is what the teachers want you to do! They don't want you to be unsure and just do the assignment how you think it should be done. They want to know if you have a concern or a question about something. And thankfully, I have had some really awesome teachers who email back really quickly, or set up some zoom meetings to talk with me.

7. Discussion boards are important! Yes, I have been there when it is last minute and you think, "Do I really have to do this discussion board? It's only worth a little percent of my grade." Those discussion boards add up quickly! Get it done. I can't stress this point enough. And when you do get it done and turned in on time, it feels literally so good! Also, the discussion boards are a great place to get to know the other students and the teacher. You can make lots of friends simply by participating in the discussion boards.

8. Take good notes. This tip kind of explains itself. Good note-taking can be a lifesaver when it comes to studying for big tests and exams.

9. Communicate. There have been several times when something big has happened in my life and I wasn't able to get an assignment in on time. This is when it is so good to email your professor and explain what is happening. If there is something that you can let them know ahead of time about, then let them know. Sometimes, it might be something unexpected, like a hurricane, that cuts out your power for several days and you can't do any work. Actually, since I am a Florida girl, this has happened several times for me. Definitely several panic-moments, but I am so thankful for professors that understand and are willing to help out and give extra time.

10. Put God first. This is THE MOST important point that I could share with you guys. Sad to say, there have been many times in my life that I got so caught up with my classes, that I put God in second place in my life. And honestly, this is when it all seems to fall apart and I get super stressed out about everything that is due or going on. When you put God in first place, He will help you get everything done that you need to. Don't forsake your time and relationship with Him simply because you have a project due. I think your professors would agree with this for sure. Keep God first!

11. Don't forsake your family time. As an online college student, I have the privilege of getting to be around my family. But sometimes, I have allowed my school to take control of my life and I forsake my family time because of it. Keep it a good balance. Yes, there will be times that you will have to work on school while your family does something fun, but for the most part, balance your time so that you can spend quality time with your family and get your classes done too. Whether it's taking a pause on your reading so you can go for a drive with your fam. Or getting up extra early to work on a class because you know that your family is planning something for later that day. Don't forsake your family because you are too wrapped up in school. You will never get those moments with your family back so use your time wisely.


This list could go on and on. When I started thinking about it, I realized how much I truly have learned through this online college life. I am so thankful for the opportunities that God has given me. Senior year...here I come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying for the One - Part 3

Praying for the One - Part 2

Praying for Someone You've Never Met