The Will of God Abideth Forever

In my reading this morning, I came across these few verses...(I'm sure y'all know these verses, maybe even by heart!)

"Love not the world neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever."                              - 1 John 2:15-17

Can I just stop and say, "Wow...what amazing verses!" I can't tell you how many friends that I had that have turned to the "things that are in the world" instead of serving God. To go even further....I can't tell you how many pastor's kids I know that have turned to the world instead of God. What a sad truth.
One of my friends got saved about two years ago. That day was amazing; you could tell the Lord had been working on her heart for a while. She just about ran to the altar! That was the best decision she will ever make. After that day she started living for the Lord. She came to church faithfully, she went to youth conferences, she was reading her Bible. But then things changed....she got a job, fell out of church, and forsook her relationship with the Lord.
You know why?? She decided that she loved the things of the world instead of loving the will of God. Sad, right? I recently saw her at a New Years Party and you know what she told me? "Last year was one of the worst years of my life; it was so tough!" I felt like saying to her, "Maybe it's because you left God behind in the dust."
Yes, I know the Christian life isn't all fun and games....but! I also know that living the Christian life and following the will of God brings such a joy that nothing else can bring. That's right...nothing the world offers can bring the true joy and happiness that God brings. The "things" of the world that you may want now, will only bring heartache and sorrow later. One of my other friends once told me,
 
"It is better to not have what you think you want now...then to have something you don't want later in life."

How true is that!
So if you are reading this (maybe you are even a preacher's kid!)  and you are trying to figure out whether you are going to follow God's will or the world, let me just ask you this. What's it worth? When you compare the job, the money, the car, etc. to the things of God, to the will of God, and to the blessings of God for all eternity...then what's it worth? Is it truly worth risking it all just for a little pleasure on earth? As the verse in 1 John said, "the world passeth away...but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever."

The will of God is worth it!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying for the One - Part 3

Praying for the One - Part 2

The Biblical Approach to Finding a Mate (Part 1)